Re: 3-point Camper Style Mirrors

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 13:50:56 -0500, tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera) wrote:

>Mr. Landry.. I've spotted a photo of a Terra with mirrors similar to the
>ones you've described... check it out:
>
>http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/sl_scout.gif

Thanks Tom,

After searching every Scout photo I could find on the Internet this past
weekend, I actually found something better!  I have a 1978 sales magazine
commissioned by International to sell their Scout line.  It's called "Scout
Four Wheel Drive Magazine - A Popular Publication."  It's thinly disguised
to look like some sort of special four wheel drive magazine, but is nothing
more than IH flaunting the Scout.  If you like Scouts, it's wonderful!
Some firearms manufacturers do the same thing to give exposure to their new
wares.  They basically pay a publisher to put out a magazine and get it
stuck on the magazine rack where it gets purchased by the unsuspecting.

Anyway, there is a large article about the Scout production line at Ft.
Wayne with numerous photos of Scouts in various stages of production.  One
particular clear photo shows a Traveler at the very end of the assembly
line on a roll tester sporting the very type mirrors Dan sent me.  From
this photo I was able to scale and determine the approximate hole mounting
locations.  I installed them this weekend and love them.  What a difference
(improvement) over the original sized mirrors.  It's almost scary that I
can see what's beside me in my former blind spots now.  What is weird is
that IH mounted them so far forward on the doors.  On the passenger side
mirror the vent pillar is right in the middle of the drivers view.  I can
only guess that the forward position of the mirror brackets is to avoid any
conflict with the mirror mounting bolts and the internal workings of the
door.

Boy I wish I had a flat bed scanner though!  I'd love to scan some of these
articles and pictures from this magazine and put 'em up on the web for the
rest of you to see.  I called around and apparently the publisher is no
longer in business.  Does anyone know if this means the copyright is no
longer valid?  Is there a time limit on a copyright... does it expire after
a certain number of years?

Happy holidays,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |