On board air

I set up then removed my on board air system, I found it would not put
out much air pressure by it self. As soon as I would put my finger over
the output the pressure safety  would shut it off. (Safety off of 20gal
3hp tank). I only tried it at an idle.  I still have it and would like
to put it back. Its a york,set at a 45% angle with a little oil.

For those of you who have one working.
Did you lay it flat and how with oil?
Did you change the size of the pulley?
What did you use for a tentionare? I have a 79 scout 2.