Re: TomM Response

>Gosh TomM, I figured you were all thoughted out for the year ...

Actually.. I do my best to only unleash one or so thoughts per day on the
list, lest I congest it with my incessant intellectual wanderings. :)

The weather's doing it to me.. it's 30 degrees outside, no snow, as nice a
weather as I could hope for this time of year for Scout building..  which
makes me all the more frustrated with my Scout in captivity.  (reminds me I
*will* type up that small claims paperwork TONIGHT).

I wish I get my Scout back ASAP to start working on it, or we get DUMPED
with snow, and I can tie up my $$$ and time on the ski hills.. :-)  This
in-between stuff is killing me.

>but I see I was mistaken.  I was able to pull down a couple of nifty
>articles off the net about on board air, rather comprehensive

I've read a few.. Jon@domain.elided had some GREAT info, and Nick
Leiterman has photos of his on-board air in his Scout II..

I was just fishing around for some actual figures.. mebbe I'll hit up the
ORD for some info today...

>Did you once tell me that you have a Holley #1920 carb on your 196?
>Do you still like your 196?  Mark

1920 being the "older" carb, found on the 258s, and featuring a somewhat
"external" fuel bowl (vs the 1940's bowl, that you can't actually "see")?
Whichever it is, I have the one with the bowl (replacing the non-bowl model)

It runs OK.. still getting bad gas mileage.. 12 to 17mpg (196, 3spd, 4.09,
235/75R15 tires).  I'm also NOT winning any drag races (I try real hard though).

But, it runs.. it moves around well enough when it's warmed up, and it
doesn't complain too loudly at 20 degrees when I use the choke in the
morning (block heater has a cut cord from previous owner still).

I think I need to go into the carb and change the jets.  I recall that the
original carb has larger jets per the IH Shop manual, but I had hoped that
different bore sizes would make up for the smaller jets (I only pretend to
half-know how carbs work, so it was worth a shot.. and it *runs*, so it
wasn't all bad).

12 to 17mpg isn't *terrible*, but my Chevy Luv does better (20+ when the
speed-o was working) with it's 1.8L, 4.56 gears, 4spd, and 25" tires.  It's
also a lot quicker. (and faster.. the '77 196 hits 95mph and just WILL NOT
go any faster.. the Luv will hit 100mph (6300rpm) under it's own power)

I'm starting to have convulsions at times.. I get on the throttle of the
196, and it starts moving along, and I get this twitch and I let out a
growl.. cursing and proclaiming loudly, "I WANT MY V8 BACK!"  This usually
coincides with a similar curse when I turn up the volume on my $25 Realistic
pawn-shop special AM/FM/Cassette deck running to my two $20 6x9s that,
collectively, makes for some rather incomprehensible distortion at any
volume that I can hear over the  "on-its-last-legs" muffler. (and missing
tailgate seal).  I drool thinking about my Sony AM/FM/Cass w/ 10-disc
changer and the extra goodies I'm about to buy to complete the '72's stereo
(when I get it back.. items include 8" Solobaric sub, 200watt amp, and a few
more speakers!)

Argh.

But, yes, I still like my 196.  It works well 'nuff, and hopefully Julie'll
like it enough to drive it next winter (and maybe some trail riding this
summer!)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs