CA Smog exemption of pre '73 vehicles

I mailed in the renewal for my '71 800B in October and received a "Notice of
Imcomplete Renewal" for not including a Smog Certificate.  They kept the
registration renewal form and my check.  I called the DMV in Sacramento and was
told to return the Notice to them AFTER January 1 with the explanation that the
vehicle is pre '73.  My registration expires January 12, so that gives the DMV
about ten days to receive, process, and mail my registration sticker.  It should
be plenty of time, but I plan to telephone them every other day or so, to make
certain it gets done.

Bob Weller
Sonoma, Cal.