Warning on Ford Calipers

>My Scout has the same brakes as a Ford.  Any good parts man can get all
>the parts you want, cheap.   They're on millions of Fords.
>
>Same for the front calipers (79).  I paid $18 for rebuilt at Auto Value.
>Again the same brakes are on millions of Ford trucks/vans.
>
>Steve

Yes, that *is* absolutely true that the Scouts use the same calipers as the
Fords, *with one exception* that I have been told.  The Scouts utiilize a
different fitting, therefore a different brake line than the Fords.  If
you're replacing the calipers and the brake lines at one time, by all means
get the "Ford" parts.  I thinknyou'll find the Ford brake lines
considerable cheaper and more available.  If not, double check!, unless
Steve you know for sure this is not a problem in all cases.  The parts
counter guy also told me (he did seem knowledgeable) that the Ford calipers
that folks turn in for rebuild are "converted" to Scout ones by the
rebuilder drilling and tapping the brake hole (I think that's what he said,
it's been several months, and heck, it may have even been the other way
around).  At any rate, it seems to me either style of caliper was within a
coupla dollars of each other, rebuilt.  And BTW, the pads are *exactly* the
same, as they should be.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?
I'm halfway through my fishburger and I
realize, Oh my God... I could be eating a
slow learner."  -- Lynda Montgomery