Re: Quick lubes

This post is "off-digest" for the first half, but bear with me...it makes an
IHC point.

I've been told (wouldn't know...I'd never own a F*rd), the 5spds in Mustangs
have a drainplug that is just a normal looking bolt. If you accidentially pick
the bolt with the SAME size head above it, you send internal linkage bits into
a heap in the bottom of the tranny. Solution: Pull the tranny and do a
complete dissassembly.
A friend of mine managed a lube shop and one of his newbies did this bonehead
manuver. And it's one of the FIRST things he told new hires about. Tells you
about the intellectual capacity of lube change folks.

The last time I went to a lube shop was 3-4 years ago. I had a Traveler that I
had recently put a motor in from a Travelall. Well, the pan I used from the
Traveler, so the dipstick to check level would be on the drivers side, right
through the oil pan. However, I forgot to remove and plug the old dipstick
tube from the front of the timing gear cover. Well, the old dipstick on the
front was broken, so I just pushed it in the front tube and clipped the handle
off the top for something to just block that tube.
Welllllllll....After waiting an hour for the grease monkey to get my oil
change done, he comes in and announces in a cracky teenager voice:
"Uhh...Ugh,huhuh, you're truck's all done. It's smoking a good bit, you might
want to check out your rings and get a compression test. Also, your dipstick
handle was broken off, I had a heck of a time finding it. Try a junkyard.  And
damn those Internationals have big oil pans, I musta put 15 quarts in there
before it filled up....."

When you swap those 392's into your scouts, remove and plug the old dipstick
tube.

Owen Minor
Tacoma,WA

--
And for you automated email spammers out there,
here's the email addresses of the current board of

Chairman Reed Hundt: rhundt@domain.elided
Commissioner James Quello: jquello@domain.elided
Commissioner Susan Ness: sness@domain.elided
Commissioner Rachelle Chong: rchong@domain.elided

And let's help you send some spam to the USPS, too:
customer@domain.elided