The Giddum Up $50 Drums are Good

We visited Giddum 'Up Summer of '96 while we were living in NM.  He has
several *pallets* of the drums.  I think got 'em for a song at a Govt
Auction.  They are the non-finned variety.  I was gonna go this way on my
'72, but when I totaled everything up and looked at the spare parts I had,
I decided to convert to discs.  No, I don't have the Dana 30 up front becuz
it is a 2wd.  Anyway, I bought the backing plates off of a '70's blazer
(the plates have 6 bolts as opposed to the later eight-bolt plates that
came on the honest-to-goodness Scout discs on the Dana 44's).  Anyway,
regarding the rear-end, I'm doing mine too.  The '72 has the inner seal in
the axle.  The bearing, which is tapered on my '72, needs to be grease
packed.  The part numbers, as purchased at Autozone, for the rear inner
seals are:  Federal Mogul #481837 (same both sides).  The original seals
were Victor #46477.   I'm reusing the *outer* seals (they look good) but to
replace them you have to destroy the bearing retainer (tapered bearings
also look good).  BTW, I *did* find lotso crapola inside the axle tube that
I cleaned out.  Your rear brakes, if stock, should be the 1 3/4 inch wide
as opposed to the later 2 1/4 inch wide ones.  They should have your wheel
cylinders in stock (different for the 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 so double check 'em.
As far as the Ford drums (for the rear only!), one time I had 'em pull one
from the shelf.  Looked like it *might* fit, but have 'em pull one to see
for sure!

>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 19:40:51 -0500
>From: Dirtball@domain.elided (Paul Brakefield)
>Subject: A couple of items
>
>Just a couple of brain pickers.  Over my two week Christmas break (teacher,
>not student) I'm going to rebuild my brake cylinders, put on four new
>drums, and replace all shoes.  While I have the backs off I thought I might
>as well replace the bearings and seals in the rear axles.  I've read about
>different axle/seal combos used and wanted to know if there is a definitive
>set that I should be getting for my 72.
>
>The other thing, Giddum Up has front drums for $50.  Good price?
>Paul Brakefield
>"Dirtball"
>
>1972 Scout II

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?
I'm halfway through my fishburger and I
realize, Oh my God... I could be eating a
slow learner."  -- Lynda Montgomery