Center of Gravity.. roll-over

Was it 4WD&SU this month (Phil Howell's last month I think) that I saw a
diagram on roll-over angles and such?? I dunno but..

I was thinking for myself, and maybe as part of one of the Scout Ralleys (or
is that Rallyes?)..

In addition to the RTI, how about driving your Scout so that the two
driver's side (or pass, your choice) wheels are on a large plank.  Then
attach a recovery strap over the top of the truck and down to the other
side, there to be affixed to the frame or some other secure mounting point.

Now run the strap over the roof and back down near the plank.. affix this
strap to something LARGE AND HEAVY. :-)  Add in the ability to ratchet the
strap in a little bit..

Then, using a Fork Lift or two floor jacks (high floor jacks probably) start
jacking up one side of the Scout.. tighten the strap, lift some more.. until
the truck tries to roll (that's what that strap is for!).  Do this with or
without driver / passengers / gear /etc. When you reach the "roll" angle, do
one of two things.. measure the hight of one side to the other (wheels) and
make a calculation for the angle, and/or get a reading from the in-truck
clinometer.

Now the driver knows with some degree of certainty, just how far his (or
her) truck and really tip before rolling is a sure thing (naturally, cargo
distribution, (uphill or downhill?) will factor in, along with speed and any
bumps you hit, but at least you know the max)

Despite a lack of any "hardcore" wheelin', I've had my Scout at some scary
angles that I didn't like all that much (Julie *really* didn't like..), but
something tells me I wasn't even close to the danger zone.. knowing that I
like to push the envelope in all directions, knowing where push should NOT
come to shove would be nice.. :-)

Not sure how this could be done for the front/back end-over situation..
that's a LOT of lifting to be done!

I'm thinking two 48" Hi-Lifts could be use on this contraption.. provided
they are used ONLY for the lifting, and the plank (or other lift bed) is
stabilized by other means (two steel poles buried in the ground running up
through the plank on either end to keep it from tipping left/right
forward/back.)  Caution would need to be used of course.. I wonder what
could be done to keep the Hi-Lifts from rocking around and dropping the
truck.. that would NOT be a nice sight..

Hmm..

Here I go, thinkin' weird again.. ;)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout