D44 Rear axle Qs

Denni,

    The drums are *ONLY* held on by the rear wheels.  With the truck
sufficiently chocked and the rear end raised, and the E brake off, and the trans
in park, remove the rear wheels.  The drums should pull straight off *UNLESS*
there is a lip on the inside of the drum.  If this is the case, you need to
punch through the access plug on the face of the drum,  It's an oval port
knockout that is about 1/4" by 1.5", and can be punched through with a small
punch and hammer.  Be careful not to damage any internals.  With the slug inside
there, it's ok, just remember to take it out when the drum comes off.  Now you
need to reach a screwdriver or 'brake adjustment fork' inside the port and try
to compress the shoes a bit.  The lip is not usually more than about 1/8", so
you may need to compress the shoes quite a bit.  After you're sure the shoes are
clear of the lip, the drums should pull off the wheel bolt studs and voila
you're in.  The caveat to all this is that the drums should not be RIGID on the
bolt studs, they should jiggle just a bit with the wheel off.  If they are
frozen on the axle flange, then use WD or PB, or any other penetrant to try to
free them.

        The new drums can be found anwhere from $35 to $100.  $75 doesn't sound
all that high to me.

        The rear disc conversion is very popular, especially with the J@@p crowd
that steal ScoutII D44 rear axles.  I think after all is said and done, it's
about $550 for the convo.  Many manufacturers make the kit, and it requires some
moderate welding, and fitting, as well as calipers and pads.

        Also, I have heard of tire as big as 44" run on D44s so the 33s are just
fine.  I know a guy here at work with 35s on his, and he has no problems other
than body rub at high flex.

        One more thing about the 'shredded' diff.  With the rears off the
ground, turn one drum and see if the other turns at all.  A blown LS will
usually function just fine as an open diff, so if it's not
crunching/clinking/clunking/chattering, etc., etc. I'd leave it until you get
the brakes figured out.

        Hope this helps,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.