Winches and Doorlocks

     About winches, I've had an RE8000 on my scout since I bought it.
     The problem with them is that the clutch t-lever on the side is a
     devil to use if it gets old/dirty.  Make sure it's been greased,
     and make sure the rack/cable, and housing look ok.  Most people
     sell winches 'cause they've banged them HARD!  Mine is the
     wormdrive type, that uses a GM/Delco Starter motor for the drive.
     It'll run solid all day, with the truck running.  I don't know
     about if the truck is dead/off, luckily I've only needed it for my
     recovery once.  Got stuck in some 2 foot deep mud/glue/gumbo, and
     pulled 3 other people to me, before it pulled me out.  Damn scout
     is freakin' heavy.  Anyway, I've recovered everything from
     corvettes (Dad's in the mud near my house) to Full Size F@^d
     Supercabs that thought they could turn off the road at any time.
     The winch has 'I believe' 100ft cable, and I've never really needed
     it all.  Make sure they'll give you the controller with it,
     sometimes, they are tough to come by.
     Again, with that clutch thing, you pull the t-bar and twist 90deg.
     to lock it in the 'out' position which meens freespool.  Pull out
     the cable to where you need it, loop/hook/etc, then walk back and
     turn/push the t-bar back in, thus locking the spool to the drive
     again.  Pull to your heart's content.  It'll drive in and out, so
     you can lower things back if you need to.  I leave the power lead
     to mine disconnected, and screw it on an extended terminal bolt
     when I use it.  Just keeps my piece of mind that I'll elminate one
     GIANT short from Murphy's list of Scout woes.

        About the doorlocks, I opened the doors in my T'all last
     weekend, and lubed the locks, tumblers, window guides, window
     regulator gears, and shaft, scissors, and the entire latch
     assembly.  I soaked most of the latch in gas to get that old crap
     out, then used Mobil1 Synth lube (tube/gun) for the grease.  When
     it used to get cold, I had to damn near twist the key off to open
     the door.  Now I can unlock the door with my teeth holding the key.
      Also the windows rolls up-down like greased lightning, smooth as
     silk, any other cliche you want to add!  Basically the things work
     great when you lube them, just make sure to clean as much as
     possible first.  Also, I've become quite adept and making my own
     springs for the lock post, which means no more getting locked out
     of the F*@^!#& truck when it's cold.  The posts would drop to
     'lock' if you looked at them wrong.  A little spring steel rod,
     needle nose pliers, and grease and good as new.

        Just $0.02

           -Joel Brodsky   '76 Scout II 345/tf727
                           '75 T'all 150 4wd 392/tf727