ElectricCoolingFan?

Regarding the flex fan and similar electric solutions, can you
recommend a size to seek if junkyarding for a fix.  Must the fan
sweep the maximum circular area possible?  I would remove my clutch
operated fan and install the electric as a puller (engine side), so I
will have minimal interference, except for the shroud.  Is the shroud
only needed to accomodate a water pump fan?  Should I keep it or
remove it with an electric?  Mark