Re: Ramsey winch

>Howdy,
>I am looking at a Ramsey winch thats for sale. 8000 lb., power in and out.
Its about 10 years old and looks to be in fair condition.
>Questions:
>Did Ramsey make more than one model 8000 lb. winch back then?
>Any tips on finding what the model number is (without the i.d. tag)?
>Is $350.00 a fair price for a winch this old?

Willy,

I dunno what model, or what shape or whatever it might be in... but, I do
offer this.  check if it's an "REP" or an "RE".. the "REP" is a Permanent
magnet motor, the "RE" is a series would motor.  I'm not sure how you'd tell
visually, but I do know the REP uses about 280amps, while the RE exceeds
400amp at full draw (maybe put an ammeter inline and power it up??)

My point:  The REP is cheaper.. and, in fact, if you look around the back
pages of your favorite 4x4 rag (or in the middle), you'll find more than 3
or 4 adds selling the REP8000 lbs winch with HAWSE (or no?) fairlead for
$399.95.  I don't know how much more the Roller fairlead is ($50 or less I
imagine), or what shipping would be but....

I saw an REP8000 at a local pawnshop for $500 or so... told the guy I could
buy one new for less.. still wouldn't budge.

-Tom (who isn't sure an 8000lbs winch is quite enough, but the SuperWinch
S9000 is $600) Mandera
Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs