re-Hi-volume water pump

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:59:26 EST
From: kenlipo@domain.elided (Ken J Hitchcox)
Subject: Electric fan

>except at low rpm/high torque situations.  Like when I'm
>crawling along through the desert.  Moving more air across the radiator
>doesn't seem to be the answer.  Seems like it would make more sense to
>move more water through the engine.  What about some kind of axuilary
>water pump? or maybe a larger pulley for the water pump?
Ken,
I don't know about crawling through the desert, but I always thought
that IH's flowed to much water in stock condition, I remember having
foaming problems with a '65 1300 w/4.13's and a 241. I beleive that IH
used to sell an anti-foaming additive.  Some race cars use a electric
motor to drive the water pump, this would give you constant flow no
matter the engine speed, though you would also have to go with an
electric fan and route the alternator belt so that it didn't go around
the waterpump.
Eric Walter