Alternator Question

This is just a bit off IHC topic... but there are so many good mechanics
on this list, I just couldn't resist!

I'm wanting to make a "DC charger" using a small Briggs & Stratton
engine and a pulley and belt to an alternator which is connected to a
bank of batteries.

I know I COULD use a 3-wire alternator and switch off the field when
attempting to start the engine... but I'm wanting to be able to do away
with having to deal with this switch (especially after the engine stops
and the battery starts discharging back into the field winding.

Question(1):  If I use a "one-wire internally regulated alternator"
(connected to a partially discharged battery)---would the alternator be
hard to turn when starting up the small engine by hand?

Question(2): Could I leave a one wire alternator connected to the
battery (without a discharge situation when stopped) and yet be easy to
start turning. I think what I am asking is if these type alternators
have some kind of internal circuitry that doesn't apply a current to the
field until the alternator is already spinning at _____ rpm.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

--
Gene Halpern     mailto:morgantruce@domain.elided
1988 Nimble 20 sail boat -- on trailer hauled by a