Trans Slipping

>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:16:35 EST
>From: AL24 <AL24@domain.elided>
>Subject: Trans slipping
>
>After my 16 year old sons first three months of driving my 79 Scout II >The
auto trans is starting to act up. Sometimes from a stop it feels >like the
trans is still in high gear instead of first. He says the trans >slips into
nuetral. He also told me that the engine stalled on him one >day and because
the brakes wouldnt work ( no vac) he threw it into >park.(OUCH so much I
havent told him about cars yet) The shop we >use hasnt looked at it yet, but
said it sounded like it might need a >rebuild (99,000 miles) and said from 9
to 11 hundred $$.  Does this >sound right any other ideas? I do trust the
shop, they have always >been upfront with me.  Thanks for any info.

Al,

You will find that many trans and other shops are WAY too high for a
transmission.

I just got done replacing the 727 in my '80 Traveler with a rebuilt from a
local rebuilder.  I did the transmission swap myself and it cost $425
exchange.  They used the HD "truck" rebuild kit (as opposed to the auto
"standard duty") .

It took me 2 average days to do the swap, and that was with a junk
transmission jack and no hoist. (Everything on my back and on a creeper.)
It's not that hard a job, and you can rent the transmission jack for the
weekend.  An extra set of hands is invaluable at times, but then again since
your son broke it, he could help fix it.  I've always found that nothing
teaches the youngsters respect for machinery like having to fix it
themselves.

A few other things.  First, when the tranny's out, check VERY carefully for
a leaking rear main seal.  There's no time like now to replace it.  Do not
do like I did and say, "yeah, it's leaking a little, but I'm going to
replace the engine in another couple of months anyway".  I guarantee you it
will start to leak MUCH WORSE as soon as you get the transmission back in.
Also, couple check your U joints because the driveshafts have to come off
anyway, good time to change them if you have to.  Ditto on the Heat Riser
Butterfly,Exhaust Donuts, and transmission mount.

Anyway, IMHO, the difference of $475 to $675 for changing it yourself is
pretty good wages for 2 guys for a weekend.

John Stricker
Remove the "nosp..........."  Oh hell, you folks know what to do and
why I had to put it in.  If one of you real humans wants to contact me:
jstricke@domain.elided
"I didn't spend all these years getting to the top of the food chain
just to become a vegetarian"