Re: ihc-digest V5 #58 Crankshaft slings oil

<snip>
<<I've seen some engines where the top of the connecting rod is drilled
spray oil onto the backside of the piston crown to provide cooling.  I
doubt if IH does this.

Does anyone know if the connecting rods are drilled to bring oil to the
wrist pin?>>

  Steve,

  IH gas engines use "semi-floating" wrist pins which are a press fit in
the connecting rods, so the rods are not drilled. The wrist pins float in
the piston and are lubricated by the oil slung from the crankshaft as you
mentioned

   IH Diesel engines such as 6.9/7.3/T-444, DT-360, and DT-466 use "full
floating" wrist pins retained by snap rings in the piston bore. These
engines have "piston cooling nozzles" that spray a stream of oil on the
underside of the piston. This oil cools the piston, and lubricates the
wrist pin.

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE
'80 Scout II Turbo Diesel