Oil Pumps and cavitation: Re-send...

------------------------------
     John, et al.

        I'm pretty sure that the crankshaft *does* dip into the oil in
     the pan, else there would be no way for the cylinder walls to be
     lubricated.  This is also a contributing factor to determining
     firing order.  The nearby cylinders need to splash oil up while the
     piston is at TDC.  Also, about cavitation in the pump.  Cavitation
     is really defined as a pressure drop on the rear side of a pump,
     thus you end up with a low vapor pressure and effectively boil the
     fluid.  Ever boil water at room temperature?  Ask me.  Anyway, if
     the oil were foamed, the pump would continue to pump foamed oil.
     The pressure would actually be nearly the same, it just wouldn't
     get to all the little nooks and crannies, as it would pump air into
     those. Kind of like a brain anuerism from air in the blood.  It
     gets bubbles into corners where it can't pump oil through.  The
     crankcase pressure can leak out many different places.  I was
     really surprised, when I rolled my Scout, just how many places oil
     came out.  The crankcase pressure can vent off in any number of
     places, and the foam filled can on the valve cover usually
     condenses the droplets.  I'll agree with foamed oil having less
     lube properties, but pressure is pressure, whether over oil or air.

        To have the oil level over the seals, it really has to be full.
     Just for grins, take off the pan, when you go to check in there
     sometime, and fill it up with 6quarts.  Heck try 10!  It'll leak
     out the dipstick hole before the end seals, and my guess is that
     you'll have close to 14 quarts plus to get out the seal.  When my
     buddy bought his '65 80 with a 345, it smoked terrible!  His
     dipstick was made from like 2 or three others brazed together,
     broken, brazed, etc.  You get the idea.  Well, we drained it and
     9.5 quarts came out.  It didn't leak a drop, but smoked is all.  a
     dual sump 345 pan will hold 9.5 quarts.  The extra sump is supposed
     to hold 1qt.  My 392 is running at 7.5 quarts on a regular sump pan
     and is great. At the recommended 6 quarts, I get valve noise at 70+
     mph.  With the extra oil, it's fine.

        As far as I have heard the changes with the v8 circa 74 were to
     enlarge the return ports at the back of the heads?  They get
     crudded up right quick.

        On another topic, has anyone found a REALLY good radiator flush?
      Like one that get all that rust out of there, or at least make the
     flow smoother?  My heater core is pretty slow flow, and I think I'm
     going to dig into it tomorrow.

                Just fuel for the fire,

        -Joel Brodsky
        '76 Scout II 345/tf727