Re: Oil Pumps and cavitation: Re-send...

On Mon, 08 Dec 97 09:48:43 PST8, jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>        I'm pretty sure that the crankshaft *does* dip into the oil in
>     the pan, else there would be no way for the cylinder walls to be
>     lubricated.  This is also a contributing factor to determining
>     firing order.  The nearby cylinders need to splash oil up while the
>     piston is at TDC.

Umm Joel,

I could have sworn I read somewhere that (with the exception of small
engines lacking a pressurized lubrication system, ie. Briggs & Stratton
lawn mower engines) the crankshaft sprays or slings oil onto the cylinder
walls.

From CTS-2130-K in the IH shop bible (Old International Version)...

"Pistons, piston rings and piston pins receive lubrication from oil spray
THROWN from the engine crankshaft.  The connecting rods on the engines are
not drilled for oil channels."

>        To have the oil level over the seals, it really has to be full.
>     Just for grins, take off the pan, when you go to check in there
>     sometime, and fill it up with 6quarts.  Heck try 10!  It'll leak
>     out the dipstick hole before the end seals, and my guess is that
>     you'll have close to 14 quarts plus to get out the seal.

Exactly... therefore at normal oil levels, the crankshaft never comes close
to touching the oil level in the pan... especially at higher rpms when a
bunch of that oil is up in the engine passageways.

>       When my
>     buddy bought his '65 80 with a 345, it smoked terrible!  His
>     dipstick was made from like 2 or three others brazed together,
>     broken, brazed, etc.  You get the idea.  Well, we drained it and
>     9.5 quarts came out.  It didn't leak a drop, but smoked is all.

Probably because his crankshaft was dipping into the oil causing it to foam
and be sucked into the PCV system!

>     At the recommended 6 quarts, I get valve noise at 70+
>     mph.  With the extra oil, it's fine.

Wow... my Traveler can hit 165+ mph before I start hearing any valve
noise... but then the wind noise is so high, I can easily mistake it for
the paint flaking off the body.  BTW, I run 0.500 gears and 65" diameter
tires with a quadruple overdrive from Atlas.

>                Just fuel for the fire,

Ouch!

Regards,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |