Tractor/Truck engines

Be patient, this is actually truck related:

The "M" had a 4cyl, tractor-only engine.

However, the Farmall 460/560 introduced in about 1958 had
the truck's BD 6cyl.  In fact, some people claim that it was IH's
death knell, they were getting way behind JD and so they
threw together an M tranny with the 6cyl and
the result was a lot of metal chips and a permanent loss of
market leadership.

Now, there may be many important differences, pistons
and cams and certainly carburation, but the castings were
the same.  I have the Felpro full gasket set (HS7799 CS-2)
which lists BD220, BD240, and BD264 under both Tractor
and Truck applications, as well as the SD motors.

What's REALLY interesting, at least to the diesel fanatics on
the list,  is the mid 60's 6cyl diesel tractors.
It's *apparently* (from my visual inspection) a diesel
variant of these motors.  If it's the *same* as the
truck diesel (BD308??), then you can pick up one anyday of the
week for less than 3K.  Probably get 1/2 of that back
parting out the rest of the tractor!  And it should bolt right
into a 60's truck, if it is-or you have a parts truck that is-
6 cyl equipped (for the little fiddly bits).

But I know squat about diesels.  I don't know if it would be
easy to convert a diesel that may be tuned in some way
for a tractor use into a truck application.   I have no doubt
that even a properly set up diesel BD-308 would really only
appeal to both the most patient and idiosyncratic of IH
owners.  It wouldn't exactly be a "baby Powerstroke."
I suspect it would turbo nicely,  but the turbo-diesel
tractors I've seen use another, bigger 6cyl.

I wanted to find out more about this, but after lurking on
the tractor list (ATIS) for a while, I decided it was just too
big.  They need to break that list down into smaller interest
groups.  At a minimum impose some restrictions on quoting.
And there seems to be -0- interest in IH tractors after the mid-50's,
for probably good reason, so there wasn't anybody who stood
out who seemed worth bothering with these types of questions.

'67 1000B step-side p/up  BG241 + 4spd
'70 1200D 4x4 Travelette 392 4spd
'71 1010 Travelall  392 auto
'73 1210 Wagonmaster, 392 auto