RE: Tractor/Truck engines

>However, the Farmall 460/560 introduced in about 1958 had
>the truck's BD 6cyl.  In fact, some people claim that it was IH's
>death knell, they were getting way behind JD and so they
>threw together an M tranny with the 6cyl and
>the result was a lot of metal chips and a permanent loss of
>market leadership.

Did the 460/560 really have that bad a reputation in service? I'd had
something like that in mind for a utility tractor, if I can find one with a
loader.

>Now, there may be many important differences, pistons
>and cams and certainly carburation, but the castings were
>the same.  I have the Felpro full gasket set (HS7799 CS-2)
>which lists BD220, BD240, and BD264 under both Tractor
>and Truck applications, as well as the SD motors.

Not to mention combines. I have a valve cover gasket for my grandad's 504
Rice Special that's the same as a BD. Maybe some of the U-series stationary
power units used this basic motor also?

>What's REALLY interesting, at least to the diesel fanatics on
>the list,  is the mid 60's 6cyl diesel tractors.
>It's *apparently* (from my visual inspection) a diesel
>variant of these motors.<snip>
>But I know squat about diesels.  I don't know if it would be
>easy to convert a diesel that may be tuned in some way
>for a tractor use into a truck application.

We need Eldon's help, but it doesn't seem too simple converting from a
governed low rpm application to what a road going truck would want.

Jim