Engine woes

Hello all,
  Here's my saga:  In a fit of insanity, I tried to draft a big rig
traveling faster than my indicated 70MPH (152 4-cyl, 4.27 gears on
31" tires), and my motor decided to frown upon this act after around
20 miles of slipstreaming.  There was no smoke, just a loss of
power ans it shutdown as I was coasting on the shoulder.  There are
no oil leaks on the ground, and no milky oil on the dipstick.  The
oil pressure is fine when I start it up, and it sounded like it
always had before getting towed home.  I had taken it on short runs
through the neighborhood to test it and all seemed well, so I took it
to get a Christmas tree and about four miles into the trip, it
started happening again.  I limped home and last heard what sounded
like a spun bearing or two right before dying again.  I started it
yesterday but I can hear that something isn't quite right with it.
The weather hasn't been conducive to a teardown, so I haven't pulled
the pan to check the bottom end.
  I'm thinking of replacing the motor since it had thrown a rod (and
was repaired) before I bought it.  I've got a line on a 196 with a
4-spd and Dana 300 that's been recently rebuilt and is waiting to be
installed in something.  I currently run the 152, 3-spd
(non-hydraulic clutch), and Dana 20.  Is this just a
drop-it-in-and-attach-the-driveshafts swap?  My steed is a '68 800.
It's my understanding that the 196 was just a bored and longer
stroked 152 block, thus the motor mounts should line up as they are.
I'm looking for reliability at this point and have even considered
*gasp* transplanting the heart from a late-model GM donor.  I know,
"The horror!", but the little 152 barely gets out of its own way, so
I'm looking for something with a tad more pep.  I'm in Va, and the
rebuilt drivetrain is in SW TX, so I want to be sure of all options
before I commit to the final choice.  Any and all suggestions are
welcomed. Thanks and sorry for the longwindedness,
Myron '68 800 4x4, 152 4-cyl (RIP?)