Re: shock type liftgate supports

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 22:09:01 -0600 "J. Michael Daugherty"
<jmdaugh@domain.elided> writes:
>>Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 17:28:35 -0500
>>From: "Shubin, Pete" <PShubin@domain.elided>
>>Subject: RE: ihc-digest V5 #13
>>
>>I would be interested in seeing what you find out in the way of
>>aftermarket replacements for the slider.  Does anyone know of a shock
>>type support (think camper shells) that will fit a Scout II liftgate?
>

>Pete, I've thought this would be a good improvement as well.  My Scout
>II has just one support [on the driver's side] so when the liftgate is
>up, the weight vs. the support twist the liftgate in the hinges etc.
Several
>months ago I saw replacement gas-charged lift supports listed in JC
Whitney.
>They listed:
>
>"INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
>71-80 Scout  (exc. Scout II) (liftgate)....12NZ7482R   21.99"
>
>What is that supposed to mean?  Will they fit the Scout II travel top
>or not?  Perhaps it should say excluding Traveller?  I haven't called to

>see if they could clarify this application nor have I ordered one [or
two].
>The page says "Strong Arm" for the brand.  I bought a Strong Arm hood
>support 6 years ago from NAPA and it still holds its charge.

I do not think this will work with your Traveltop Liftgate.  Although I
would say Travellers and Terras are also Scout II's, I think this is
JCW's way of designating the 100" model as opposed to the others and they
are saying it is only for the Traveller.  Take a look at that 21.99"
length--where would it fit inside the liftgate opening?  And if you got
it installed, I suspect you'd be able to do chin-ups trying to get the
much lighter liftgate back down!

I have corresponded with a Scout owner in Germany who told me that they
take the liftgate supports from the VW Rabbit, weld the bracket that
attaches to the liftgate to the end of the supports and end up with a
workable gas strut for the Traveltop.  I've been going to try it, but
haven't yet.

Good luck.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts