Re: shock type liftgate supports

>Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 17:28:35 -0500
>From: "Shubin, Pete" <PShubin@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: ihc-digest V5 #13
>
>I would be interested in seeing what you find out in the way of
>aftermarket replacements for the slider.  Does anyone know of a shock
>type support (think camper shells) that will fit a Scout II liftgate?

Pete, I've thought this would be a good improvement as well.  My Scout II
has just one support [on the driver's side] so when the liftgate is up, the
weight vs. the support twist the liftgate in the hinges etc.  Several months
ago I saw replacement gas-charged lift supports listed in JC Whitney.  They
listed:

"INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
71-80 Scout
  (exc. Scout II) (liftgate)....12NZ7482R   21.99"

What is that supposed to mean?  Will they fit the Scout II travel top or
not?  Perhaps it should say excluding Traveller?  I haven't called to see if
they could clarify this application nor have I ordered one [or two].  The
page says "Strong Arm" for the brand.  I bought a Strong Arm hood support 6
years ago from NAPA and it still holds its charge.

Mike - who has bumped his head on the liftgate more than once

jmdaugh@domain.elided