Re: Rear axle questions

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:15:03 -0500, Dirtball@domain.elided (Paul
Brakefield) wrote:

>Hope some of you guys are still out there who can answer my questions ASAP.

OK... here goes a try...

>I just removed my rear diff cover to change the dope.  Two tags were still
>on the outside of the cover.  One says "use only limited slip diff lube (or
>something to that effect)" and the other has a 43-1 and 3.31 stamped on it.
>I know what the limited slip diff lube tag means, and I assume the 3.31 is
>the ratio.  What does the 43-1 mean?

It either means: 1. Manufactured January, 1943 or 2. It's a Dana 43!

Ok... so I have no idea what it means. <grin>

>Second question.  I know I have either a Power-loc or a Crap... er, I mean
>Trac-loc.  When you look at the carrier there are the two spider gears with
>what looks like two smaller spider gears between them.  Please tell me that
>I'm looking at a Power-loc.  Seems I remember reading that that was one way
>to tell.

If it's a Power-loc, the ends of the cross pins in the center of the
carrier will be resting in the bottom of a notch of "v".  When there's a
difference in torque between the two axle shafts on each side of the
carrier, the cross pin is forced up one of the ramps on either side of the
"v" notch.  The caming action squeezes a pack of clutch disks together
effectively locking the axles together.

The Trash-slop completely lacks these "v" notches.  So if you can't see
anything like what I described on the carrier, it's a Trash-slop!  This is
the easiest way to explain the difference via e-mail.  The IH shop manual
has pictures of both.

Regards,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |