radio to fit 1970 Scout 800-A

Does anyone know what year and make radios fit a 1970 Scout 800-A
(besides the obvious answer)? Mine came without one.  Would it be
unethical to alter the dash to accomodate a nonstock radio?  I confess
that I've very slightly filed the lower edge of the rectangular opening
to accept a GM X-car am-fm stereo, but I still need to widen the sides.
Even so, the distance between the volume and tuning shafts is too narrow
for them to be centered in the dash holes.  I may need to do some filing
inward at the level of the diameter of each hole.  Please let me know if
there is an affordable alternative to "mutilating" the dash before it's
too late!  Don't suggest hanging a radio from under the dash : there's
no room and I'm thinking of hanging gauges and a tach there. Thanks.

Alan Horwitz
horwitz@domain.elided