Re: Chat Times

Paul, Tom & everyone else:

We've been playing around with 3 different Java-based client/server chat
applets on the Binder Bulletin site since early March of this year.  We've
finally settled on one that seems to be very fast and very stable, since it
runs on our own web server (rather than borrowing a time-slice from some
overloaded "Chat Central" type of service that's also hosting 1,000 other
chat rooms). It allows for private conversations as well as "gang chat".

We've taken the same approach that Paul is suggesting in order to minimize
the "nobody home" experience -- namely, we've established a standing time
(or two) that folks can be pretty darn sure of finding fellow IH-lovers to
chat with.  We've selected Wednesday evenings, beginning at 6PM PST (9PM
EST).  An average crowd lately seems to be from 8-10 folks.

I've been known to simply "hang out" there while I'm working on the web
pages, and some of the more dedicated "chatters" can be found there almost
anytime. Until the "IH chat" concept catches on, however, you're right on
to suggest some sort of schedule.  My hope is that sooner or later, folks
could pop in just about any time & find at least one other IH-lover to yak
with.

At the moment, one has to enter the Binder Bulletin Chat Lounge FROM a page
in the "binderbulletin.com" domain.  The "referring page" cannot be
elsewhere, so it's a bad idea to try to bookmark the Chat Lounge.  The link
to enter is prominently displayed on the left side of our main page at
http://www.binderbulletin.com.  Folks with browsers that don't support
frames can point to http://www.binderbulletin.com/newstuff.htm -- a link to
the Chat Lounge is right at the top.

Best Regards,