Re: Intake Manifold

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:52:06 -0800, Scott Machalk <smachalk@domain.elided>
wrote:

>So if I want to put an Edelbrock Performer Series 500 cfm carb on the ole
>Scout and this carb is the Square bore type, how do I find out which type
>intake manifold I have without pulling the carb?

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between the two types once you've
seen both a few times, but it can darn hard to describe the differences
without referring to the throttle bores (which are covered by the carb).

One sure way to tell what you have is by the type of carburetor that's on
there now.  If it's not an Edelbrock carburetor and the rear (secondary)
throttle bores are *much* larger than the front (primary) throttle bores,
then you have a spread-bore manifold.  A spread-bore pattern has much
larger secondaries which are spread farther apart than the primaries.  If
the throttle bores all look about the same front to rear, then you have a
square-bore pattern.  The reason I mention Edelbrock, is that their
square-bore carbs have secondaries that are quite a bit larger looking than
the primaries.  The secondaries are in fact a little bit larger that the
primaries, but still on the square-bore pattern... almost like a
psuedo-spread-bore.

>I also read on Erick Foor's carb tips page that an adaptor can be used but
>I've also heard that Edelbrock recommends not using an adaptor.

This is partially correct... Edelbrock says you *can* use a spread-bore to
square-bore adapter with the Performer carbs as long as it's *not* the open
type.  This means the adapter must have a separate hole for each throttle
bore.  Their square-bore pattern carburetors will not work correctly with
an open type adapter.  If you have trouble finding one, of course Edelbrock
sells such an adapter.  More information is available from their web page
at www.edelbrock.com.

>79 Scout II  345  727 8mpg
                       ^^^^
That's pretty bad unless you are pulling a heavy trailer uphill over Pikes
Peak with the choke on!  I'm averaging about 13.5 mpg highway / city, but
have hit over 14.5 mpg strictly highway driving in my 76 Traveler, V345A,
727, 3.54, Edelbrock 1404, MSD 6A.

Have fun,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |