Re: MSD Ignition

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, John A. Landry wrote:

> A minor correction Steve... the MSD computer triggers when the lead points
> close... not when the open.  I flipped open the MSD installation manual,
> and they warn against using dual points with a rev limiter, so you should
> be fine.
>
>  John

John,

That would definitely rquire re-timing the engine.  A normal points
system fires when the current flow to the coil stops and the magnetic
field collapses.

I had my distributor out for so long I forgot where it was.  So, I
initially positioned the dist by setting cyl 8 at TDC, then using a
voltmeter I rotated the dist until the points just opened.  It was a few
degrees late, but would run ok.  Then back to the timing light.

I fed the vac advance directly off the manifold vacuum w/o the thermal
switch.  Then I dialed in 15 deg advance with the MSD adjustment, (I
sort-of went overboard).  Boy does it idle fine with all that advance.
I'll need to road test to see how much advance it can can handle under
load.  Probably way less.

Steve