Re: Reverse Shackle job questions

I'll take a stab at this...

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Jim wrote:

> Anyways, the catalog listed prices (a bit steep I thought, but what do I
> know) for a kit, and a kit w/o drive shaft.
> Could someone explain what is involved with this type of job, and what it
> does for my Scout (or will do)?

Jim Weed has some pretty good details on this type of set up at
http://www.off-road.com/~jweed
Basically, you move the shackles to the back of the front springs,
allowing the springs (and axle) to "roll" rearward when you hit a bump,
which is a more natural motion vs. the stock front shackle, which makes
the springs/axle move forward when they go "upwards."

To do it yourself looks pretty simple (I'm planning this mod).  It
involves some 3" steel tubing welded to the front cross member, and a
custom rear shackle.  I'm guessing I'll spend around $100 in labor, and
another $50 in parts to have a local fabricator make and weld in a
reverse shackle for me.

> I am mostly confused on the kit with drive shaft.  I have (I think) a front
> drive shaft already, but do I need a different one if I install a Reverse
> Shackel kit??

The Reverse Shackle causes the axle to roll rearward whne you hit a bump,
thus compressing the front driveshaft more than the stock setup would.
Thus you need a shorter shaft with a longer slip joint.  You can have
your shaft cut down, a new one made, or you can get a pre-made shaft with
the kit for $150.

I'll be cutting/twisting my front axle when I do the reverse shackles
(also 4" lift), so I'll be twisting the axle enough to make the pinion
point directly at the transfer case, and I'll use a brand new 'shaft with
a CV joint at the t'case end.

For comparison, the brand new CV driveshaft made to order can be
purchased for $185 from a number of larger driveshaft manufacturers
(Gloeco, Six States).  Note that a CV joint driveshaft is a little more
expensive than a regular U-joint based 'shaft.  (er, that is the CV joint
is pricier than a regular U-joint)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs