Re: Front End Shock Absorber Questions

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, John A. Landry wrote:

> a 4" lift in the near future.  They explained that if I bought shocks to
> fit a 4" lift, they would not fit my stock vehicle height now and vice
> versa.
>
> then if you have a 4" lift and compress the suspension?  How is the shock
> going to know the difference of being on a lower stock height suspension
> verses a compressed suspension on a 4" lift?  If the shock is going to
> bottom out that easy, it seems like it would really limit your suspension
> travel.  Is the 4x4 shop correct, or can I get away with installing the
> RS5000 meant for a 4" lift?

John,

I understand their viewpoint, as well as yours!  And yer both correct,
though they are "right." :-)

I can think of a few good reasons NOT to buy the 4" RS5000s today..

In addition to Up travel and Down travel, shocks are also "multi-valved"
and such, such that their damping rate is NOT equal across the entire
length of the shock movement.

That is, when you know your trucks UP, DOWN, and "level" travel
positions, you would buy a shock that corresponds.  In your case, your 4"
shocks would have very little "UP" in them, and lots of DOWN.  Which
might be OK, except the valving (and thus damping) characteristics of the
shock would be all screwed up.

I would image, the very end of a shocks "UP" motion would be very "hard",
thus any time your axle hits a bump, it won't move much, and lots of
jarring to the driver.

OTOH, with a 4" lift, you have 4" more of shock to "travel up" before you
hit the same "hard" spot (to try to keep you from bottoming out)

So, your ride will probably be WORSE with the 4" shocks on the stock
suspension, than whatever your current setup provides.

Additionally, I don't recall how much UP travel the stock suspension has,
but I *know* it isn't much.  (one of my bigger reasons for lifting.. if I
hit a curb at speed, I nail the bump stops.. I mean, sheesh, c'mon.. it's
a truck after all! ;) ).  I wonder if the longer 4" shock simply wouldn't
compress far enough to reasonably allow the axle *any* up travel.. thus
making your shock mounts bump stops.

For lots of travel on lifted rigs, I know drivers like to re-locate their
shocks as far up on the truck (and low on the axle) as they can, allowing
for a lot more travel, longer strokes with a smoother ride, too.

My $.02.

-Tom