Re: Front End Shock Absorber Questions

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:44:17 -0600, Steve Grossman
<a0197725@domain.elided> wrote:

>    John> On a related note, can anyone by chance tell me what the
>    John> size and length of the front end lower shock bolt is on a 76
>    John> Scout II?  It may be listed in the IH Parts Manual if
>    John> someone has it handy.
>
>I was trying to tighten my right lower shock nut this weekend.  It's
>loose enough that the bolt/nut will rotate in the shock bushing.  But,
>the nut is on the bolt tightly, and will neither tighten more or come
>off without using a breaker bar.  The shocks are about 2.5 yrs old
>with maybe 30K miles on them.  The bolt on mine is a 3/4" head with a
>1/2" shank, 1-3/4" long, grade 8.  I'm not sure if it's original or
>not - it doesn't seem quite long enough.  Obviously not from the parts
>manual, just what I observed this weekend.

I answered my own question last night when I dug out my IH parts manual.
The lower shock bolt for the front is supposed to be 1/2"x2-1/2" fine
thread.  A self locking nut (with a flat washer underneath) is supposed to
be used also.

Regarding the tightening problem... without taking things apart to verify
yet... 1. There is a metal sleeve passing through the inside of the lower
shock bushing.  The bolt is probably tight against this sleeve, yet the
rubber bushing is deteriorated (shrunk) to the point that the shock can
move even though the bolt is tight. *or* 2. The bolt was loose allowing it
to move up and down a little, thus damaging the threads somewhat where they
pass through the lower shock mount.  This prevents the nut from being
tightened. *or* 3. There aren't enough threads on the bolt to tighten the
nut further.

I'm going to buy new bolts and regular "SUV" shocks today to install this
coming weekend.  I've decided not to spend money on high quality off-road
shocks until I get my lift kit someday.

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |