Auto Part Stores [Was: Did'ja ever...?]

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 13:30:16 -0500 (EST), Johnny Hinman
<jhinman@domain.elided> wrote:

>        I needed a headlight for my Scout, so I went to the closest parts
>place, an affiliate with one of the chain parts stores.
>        "I need a headlight for a truck that uses the two round headlight
>system," I told the lady behind the computer.  I had forgotten that it was a
>2D1 headlight but that probably would not have mattered.
>        "What does it go on, " she asked.
>        "Oh boy," I thought, "here we go."
>        "It's on a '79 International Scout."
[snip]

I went to an Al's Auto Supply on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma, WA last week to
buy a set of points and a condenser.  I walk up to the parts counter where
two employees were busy helping other customers.  One of them calls a
younger looking guy up from the back to help me.  He politely asked me what
I needed, and I told him.

It went something like this:

Me: Do you list Bosch points and condenser for a 1974 International Scout
II with a 345 V8?

Him: Hmmm... International... who makes that?

Me: (Trying to keep from busting out laughing) International!

Him: Yeah I know you said it's an international... Scout... but who *makes*
it?

Me: International is the manufacturer!

Him: I've never heard of them... what do they go by?

Me: (Now wanting to laugh and cry at the same time) How about International
or IHC or Navastar!  They are... er were... a huge company!

Him: Oh... there it is... right under International!  Wow!

I'd also have to say that 90% of the time I walk into a parts stores (chain
or otherwise), when I ask for a part for an International, the counter
person sort of groans.  Invariably they usually have the part, but their
initial reaction would make you think they were going to have to special
order the part from Mars!  That I find slightly annoying.  I'd rather they
wait until they really can't find it before thy start groaning.

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |