Re: Block Heaters

  <Gary wrote>
   <<Anyway, this year I'm planning on installing a block heater.  I was
going to
either go with the Kat's or Phillips Temro electric core plug heater (both
400 watts).  The Kat's application states that only one heater is rquired;
the Phillips says that two are required.>>

   Gary,

       A block heater is a excellant cold weater starting aid for any engine,
Gas, or Diesel (or should I say Spark, or Compression ignition?). Imagine the
shock to the top of the piston alone when it goes from -30 degrees to + 1500
degrees within a few seconds. At the same time the starter is straining to
turn the engine fast enough to  generate enough compression to ignite the
fuel (Diesel), or draw in enough raw gas to get the fire started (gas). Also
the available amperage from the battery is 60% less than at 80 degrees, and
the starter requires 300% more power to crank the engine.

    I also have a 80 Diesel Scout, and I use the 2 Phillips 400 W block
heaters. Phillips recommends a block heater 600W for an engine this size.
Since the frost plug is fairly small, and the space behind the plug is
limited, the only available size block heater is 400W. To reach the
recommended wattage 2 400W block heaters are required. Having 2 separate
heating elements has many benefits. The heat is more evenly distributed in
the block. When temperatures are between +25, and +45  I use 1, below +25 I
use both. A timer can also be used since the 800W will heat the engine fairly
fast. Since the Diesel has a oil cooler, the heated  coolant warms the cold
oil as soon as the engine is started, improving oil flow at extreme cold
temps.
    I prefer the Phillips over the Kats because the Phillips has a
replaceable cord, and I like the retaining clamp better, but either one will
work satisfactorily.

  <Mike asked>
. << Does anyone have opinions or experience with tank heaters [that
mount in the radiator hose] vs. block heaters [that take the place of a soft
plug].  I've used block heaters in the past but my SII has a tank heater.  I
don't know if it works or not or if it will be enough.>>

<Tom said>
   <<My '72 Scout II, 304V8 has a "tank heater" mounted in my lower radiator
hose.. it works well enough, keeps the coolant warm for quicker heating,
and a warmer motor, but it makes replacing the lower rad hose a BEAR.
You're trying to stuff a fitting into a section of nice new hose (which
you just cut, BTW) where it wasn't meant to be.. I spent a few hours on
that one.>>

     I prefer the freeze plug type heater over external types because of the
simplicity, and the heat is directly inside the engine where you need it.
Also a lower wattage can be used since there is no loss from hoses, fittings,
etc.. External tank type heaters are harder to mount properly, they can
resrict the flow of coolant to the heater, have extra hoses, and fittings to
leak, etc.. the lower hose heater is my least favorite, as Tom mentioned
installation is difficult, and you have a couple more places for coolant
leaks. also the heat only gets to the area near the hose. I would only use
this type if a freeze plug heater was unavailable, and a tank heater could
not be installed properly due to location,or space limitations.
     I have used a magnetic engine heater some. This is a 250W heater with a
magnetic base. It doesn't do much on the side of a block, but I have used
them on the oil pan to warm the oil.

   <Gary wrote>
   << I have no experience whatsoever with propane block heaters.  Anyone out
there
have any comments or ideas?  I like the option of being totally remote (I
have a very isolated cabin w/o electricity) but it's not required. >>

    The propane heater is a external tank type heater that installs similar
to a electric tank heater, and uses the convection method for coolant
circulation. This type heater is intended for use in remote areas where the
use of other starting aids is not possible, or practical. I don't like the
idea of a fire burning under my hood while the vehicle is unattended. The
supply of fuel, and location of a fuel tank can also be a problem. If you
need one of these I would add it in addition to an electric heater, so it
would only be used when electricity was not available.
     I use my block heater regularly to save wear and tear on my electrical
system, and to prolong engine life, in addition to having easier starting,
and faster warmups. I have had occasions when I could not use the block
heater during extreme cold temperatures. On those occasions the Diesel has
still started without any trouble. If I am going to be away in a remote area
during cold weather (or any other time) here's what I do: Take a portable
1750 watt generator, a small battery charger, a spare battery, and jumper
cables. The only time I ever had a problem was when my battery got run down
after something was accidently left on. I just fired up the generator,
plugged in my block heater while the battery was charging, and in a short
time I was on my way. In that case the propane heater would not have helped
anyway.

    <Howard wrote>
  <<Don't go with propane!  Why bother?  Hazardous cargo!  There are diesel
powered versions available.  All are German Made.  I am researching for my
Powerstroke, so I don't know all of the little details.  There are two that
I know of: http://www.webasto.de/english/index.html is the home page of the
one that looks most interesting.  You can get a remote or timer model, AND
get this it will also run the heat (with help of your interior fan) into
your cab.  No Ice Scraping!  Warm and toasty when you get in!  >>

   This is the ultimate cold weather aid. Webasto heaters are designed
primarily for over the road trucks. They are Diesel fuel fired, have a
circulating pump, a optional thermostat/ timer. They provide hot water for
cab, and bunk heaters, and circulate coolant through the engine to keep it
warm. The truck driver can avoid idling the engine all nite while sleeping,
keep toasty warm, and the truck will start when its time to go.
     There are also a few other brands similar to this. Finding room to mount
one in a Scout would be a challange, but it may be worth giving up your
passenger seat for one of these if you plan to sleep in the back during below
zero weather. Cost might also be a factor here. Webasto has several models of
heaters ranging from $2,000 - $2,500 plus options.

    The next topic should probably be winter fuels

    Good luck

     Eldon McFarling
     Ceresco, NE
     80 Scout II Turbo Diesel