Re: Wheel bearings

Allen,
About your rear wheel bearings, there is two type.
One where there is a seal on the outermost part of the axle shaft,
then the bearing is pressed on after. This bearing gets greased buy the
gear lube in the Diff.
The other type is where there is axle seals inside the pumpkin and there is
bearings at the end of the axle that needs to be greased like you would
front wheel bearing for a regular rear wheel drive car...

Now.. I have not seen both styles, in a Scout, with my own eyes...
But some people I had do my Trans some time ago was talking about it... and
they told me about two styles...
I have seen both kinds in other vehicles.

Anyway.. Just a bunch a hear say... but it might help...

Jeff Bade
Chicago, IL
1980 Scout ][, 304, 727, D300, 4" body, 4" spring, SS][ converted