Re: Block Heaters

> Nor do I.  Does anyone have opinions or experience with tank heaters [that
> mount in the radiator hose] vs. block heaters [that take the place of a soft
> plug].  I've used block heaters in the past but my SII has a tank heater.  I
> don't know if it works or not or if it will be enough.

My '72 Scout II, 304V8 has a "tank heater" mounted in my lower radiator
hose.. it works well enough, keeps the coolant warm for quicker heating,
and a warmer motor, but it makes replacing the lower rad hose a BEAR.
You're trying to stuff a fitting into a section of nice new hose (which
you just cut, BTW) where it wasn't meant to be.. I spent a few hours on
that one.

I've also had a heater on my '76 Chevy Luv that (I believe) was installed
in one of the radiator drain cocks.  This worked just as well.

The downside to both, is I only have warm coolant.. I get that familiar
clacking sound on my 304 when I start it up at -20 (even when I remember
to change out the 20w50 for 10w30!) for a few moments until the warm
coolant warms the block which warms the oil which makes it flow.

Ideally, I'd like a radiator / coolant heater, and some type of block
(oil pan) heater, to keep the rad. fluid hot, and the oil flowing.  Best
of both worlds.. less wear n' tear on the motor, and a quick heater.

I don't know what my '77 196 has for a heater.. the plug has been cut
off, but I'm now reminded that I was going to look it over and see if it
was still useable (did it get CUT off, or did someone try to drive away?)
and wire it back up.. Winter is just around the corner.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
'72 and '77 Scout II (which now has all the marker/running lights working!)
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout