The "I done bad" Disaster: Day 3

[The breaking of a 1962 Scout 80]

After composing myself (the loud BANGS sent a grevious chill up and
down my spine which took a couple of days to quit reverberating),
I grimly went out to the Scout armed with nothing
but a socket wrench and the advice of the the IH crew. The Scout is
mobile only if 4WD with the front hubs locked, so I pulled off
the rear differential cover plate, expecting to see a broken
pinion shaft or lots of gear teeth strewn about. But the differential
looked fine. I started up the Scout again, and went back and looked
at the differential in action. Everything was turning like I think its
supposed to, but nothing is being translated to the wheels. I'm supposed
to have a limited slip differential, according to a sticker on my
dashboard, but I think I have a open differential based upon what
I see in my Scout repair manual. So that means one or two axle
shafts broken, right?. Do I have to remove the entire axle?
What's the simplest way for me to figure out which side is
the culprit. I'm a little more intelligent than a protozoan when
it comes to auto repair, but I want to learn. Would anybody
be so kind as to give me some pointers (on the level of "remove
the lug nuts --- counterclockwise, you idiot!").

Thanks for your help. I want to get my baby back on the road
again (but the wifey is fast losing patience!)

john
lusth@domain.elided