Re: Air compressor bracket

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:48:22 -0500, you wrote:

>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:50:32 -0800
>From: Nicholas Leiterman <nickl@domain.elided>
>Subject: Air compressor bracket
>
>On the air compressor / alternator bracket, on the front, on the motor
>side, there is a horizontal threaded hole.  Can anyone tell me what the
>hole is for?

Nick,

This threaded hole is supposed to contain a long bolt with a lock nut.  The
end of the bolt presses against a small extension protruding off the IH A/C
compressor.  It's function is to adjust the A/C belt tension once the
compressor mounting bolts are loosened.  Once the desired belt tension is
achieved, the compressor mounting bolts are tightened and the lock nut on
the adjusting bolt is secured.  Simple eh?

A/C compressors substituted from other vehicle models and makes probably
won't have the extension for the adjusting bolt to press against.  In that
case one just has to find another way to hold the belt tension while
securing the compressor mounting bolts.  A Hi-Lift jack maybe? <grin>

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided              |     - Washington State Residents -
Conservative Libertarian         |  PRESERVE YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!
Life Member of the NRA           |      Vote NO on Initiative 676...
WA Arms Collectors               | It's just another scheme funded by big
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |  money to strip away your privacy and
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |  force the registration of gun owners.