Re: Steering Columns

>From: gehl@domain.elided
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:35:37 +0000
>Subject: Steering Columns
>
>  Obviously, my slide has compressed about
>one inch, probably from when I dropped it on the floor.  It looks
>fine otherwise.  Can anyone recommend to use or not to use this part?
> If I use it I must lengthen it.  How do I stretch it back out again?
> Stick a rod through the center and give it a smack?  Also, the
>plastic spacers used on the column bottom bracket (two bolts into
>dash bottom - holds the column up): these appear to suffer the same
>compression, but look dandy otherwise.  Comments?

Mark, I do not know if you should reuse this part or not.  My service
manual's section on the steering column, CTS-2564, makes a big deal about
how the energy absorbing column is easily damaged.  If there is any new
movement or question of damage, I would not use it.  From p. 5:

"Note: After the steering column is removed from the vehicle, it is
extremely susceptible to damage.  Dropping the column assembly on its end
could collapse the steering shaft or loosen the plastic injections which
maintain column rigidity.  Leaning on the jacket tube could cause jacket to
bend or deform.  Any of the above damage could impair the column's
collapsible design.  If it is necessary to remove the steering wheel, use
standard wheel puller.  Do not hammer on end of shaft as hammering could
loosen plastic injections which manitain column rigidity."

Let me know what happens if you try to lengthen it.  If it can be done, your
idea sounds like it has the best chance of being successfull.

Good luck, Mike

jmdaugh@domain.elided