Re: koni shocks/strut installation on 95 M3

"Paul Frederick" <pfrederi@domain.elided> wrote:
> Was about to order koni sport shocks for my 95 M3 and Spoke to a
> guy at tirerack who said that to install the front koni shocks some
> cutting will have to be done on my existing front struts and then
> the koni shocks fit into the front strut housing. Does this sound
> right to anyone.

Yes, it does.
Front E36 struts sit inside strut housing with brackets for the front hub
and the sway bar attachment point. The housing is welded shot from the
factory. You have to cut the top off, remove the old strut piston, drill a
hole at the bottom of the housing, drop the new (Koni) strut and bolt it
to the bottom. Pretty straight forward.
Alternatively, you can buy new strut housings from places like
ground-control.com  But that's a waste.

> I am not going to install the shocks myself I am going to have a
> shop do it along with installing some racing dynamic springs but
> I still don't like the idea of anything that has to be cut.

Why not?

> Is this going to have a negative effect on the car?

Nope.

> Also they said that the koni sport shocks are adjustable. Will the
> adjustments be easy to change and not require the removal of a lot
> of parts?

Front Konis are easily adjustable from above (middle of strut mounts
inside the engine compartment).
Rears are more complicated (the rear upper strut mount is not easily
accesible) and further depend on the type of the Koni shock you are
purchasing.

alex f