tires and helmets on a budget

Howdy all -

I'm enjoying my first spring with my 88 325is, and getting ready for BMW CCA driving schools.  Apparently I can't run my plugged tire, so I'm looking for two new ones to replace my Yokohama AVS Intermediates that can with the car.  Any thoughts on the new Yoko ES100 ($72) vs. a Sumitomo HTR ($41)?  Both 205/60/14. Pretty similar reviews on Tirerack.com, but the price diff is big.  I also need a helmet (snell 1995 and up)I don't want to shell out the big bucks for one. Any tire and helmet advice from the old guard out there?
I'm in Providence, RI, so if any of you have local sources that would be great as well.
As usual, thanks in advance for all the great help.