Re: <E28> hesitation.. still at the wrench

[snip]

> The relays in the car havent been checked, and someone had mentioned the
> main relay.  The one in the car is one of the metal covered ones. so maybe
> changing it will solve the problem.. I will mention that to them tommorow.

that was probably me :-)  One thing you can do is swap the
relay with another in the car if there are 2 or more of
the same type.  That's a quick 5 minute check and doesn't cost
anything to find out.  Or you can simply remove it and
ohm it out with a meter and/or simply measure the voltage
at the fuel pump.  If the contact resistance is anything
beyond a few tens of milliohms, it's shot.

If there's an identical relay on another circuit that hopefully
doesn't draw as much current as a fuel pump, you can try swapping
parts and run the car and see if it makes any difference.

Don't take this personally, I'm sure you're going to get hit
with an expensive repair bill.  From the sounds of it,
your shop doesn't know what it's doing.  Running compression
test, cleaning thermostats, etc seems pointless IMHO to
fix this specific problem.  It sounds like pure guess work
being done at your expense.

Checking sensors is fine, but even with complete failure,
your engine won't be running like what it's doing now.
Your (our) year Motronics is smart enough to ignore bogus sensor values
and still run properly.  If anything, the Motronics would have
flashed some errors...

Also, again, resist the urge to point to the computer.  It's simply
amazing of how quick 'technicians' like to do that instead of
using common sense.  If you really believe there's a
cracked solder connection, open it up and look to eliminate
it as a possibility.

good luck!
aaron
88 528e