Rims and Tire Dilemma (E36)

I have the double spoke 7x16" sport package wheels with 225/50/R16 Champiro
50 GT tires on my 1996 328i (E36).  I need to buy new rims or have the
existing rims "trued".  Also, the tires have little tread left and need to
be replaced.  If I keep the existing rims, what are some good options for
tires, more specifically, the tire size?  If I buy rims, what size should I
look for?  Should I stay with 16" or go to 10x17" in the rear and 8x17" in
the front?  Also, what would be a good tire size for the rims?

I would like an all season high performance tire, if possible.  FYI:  I live
and drive in the Boston/New England area.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully submitted,

Joe Baptista

1996 328i (E36)