E30 Short Shifter Install

Groups,

Well I got around to installing my UUC short shifter
last week. I also replaced my transmission output
shaft seal and the gubio and installed the delrin
carrier bushings. I didn't change the slector joint, I
think I will go back and install this as I have some
side to side play I would like to get rid of. I also
had to bend the slector rod to clear the gubio. But my
question is that the shifter now feels like I push it
forward more then I used to, but I don't have to pull
it back as far. It only comes halfway back this is
fine. I tried rotating the shifter 180* and then its
the same it then come back far and still returns to
the middle. I guess I'm looking for a in between this
type of movement ie. in first just past the middle in
second just a little back from the middle. My question
is did I bend the shaft to little? would it be more in
between if I bent the rod more? Anyone that has any
thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Kyle Sanchez
http://tax.yahoo.com