Re: lowering spring installation

"Paul Frederick" <pfrederi@domain.elided> wrote:
> I just ordered a complete set of racing dynamics springs for my 95 M3.
> Are there any particular concerns that I need to be aware of before
> having them installed.

What shocks are you swapping in?
OE Boge shocks head south between 30-60K miles. Since you are taking
everything apart, you should throw in new Konis (recommended) or Bilsteins
(not) as well.

> Such as the strut towers,

They will be fine.
There is a $6 front strut tower reinforcement plate from '96+ M3s that you
can throw in there while you are at it. Safe insurance. It does interfere
with some adjustable camber plates, so be careful if you are installing
those as well.

> will my tires wear out faster,

Depending on how much lower your car will sit, you will gain some negative
camber. Which may lead to expedited wear of your inside tires. At the same
time, if you start taking your car to autoXs and DEs and practice
four-wheel drifting through the turns, you will even out the wear ;-)

> will my car need to be totally realigned after installation,

Always a good idea.
Though unless you are installing front adjustable camber plates, you will
not be able to do anything about the front camber or caster. The rear
camber and front/rear toe are adjustable from the factory.

> Also what is a fair price for the labor to have them installed

30 minutes for the rears (round up to the nearest hour)
2-3 hours for the fronts

> and also for a total wheel alignment.

Anywhere from $100-200. Don't economize here by asking quicky-lube to eye
ball your alignment!

> Will I have to worry about the stock bump stop length and the
> car bottoming out?

Depends on the replacement shocks and the degree of lowering.

Good luck
alex f