re: mileage readout on new speedometer

re: mileage readout on new speedometer:

I recall a thread on this several years back.

Yes, the new guages can be set to any number of miles desired.
BMW and the dealers will give you serious swearing with their fingers
crossed on a stack of _unholy bibles that it has to be zero, but hey,
even a skilled hack with a pulse generator can do it illegally.
      The net result of the thread a few years ago was that BMW _did_
ante up a new speedo with correct mileage.  It took a lot of wrangling
and patience on the part of the person who needed the new guages.
      Also, give the new guage a few tanksfull to see it its sticky.
Others may know better if that is likely or not.
      Run it down to near empty each time.  Check to see if the orange
'low fuel' telltale light comes on.  I would carry a gallon of gas in
the trunk in case it doesn't.  If the telltale light does come on but
the needed stays high, then the sender is working right.  If the
telltale doesn't come on and you run nearly out of gas, then its not
your guages.
Good Luck,

'jk