Re: bmw-digest V9 #2410

At 15:23 03/26/2003, bmw-digest wrote:

>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:35:20 -0500
>From: John B <JohnEB48@domain.elided>
>Subject: Fuel guage tracking
>
>Help from the group please,
>My '97 Z3 had the fuel sender/tankpump replaced--fuel guage was flickering
>when tank was filled. Put 340 miles ON FULL TANK and guage regesters 1/2
>full!!!!
>Took car back to BMW week later--they say the instrument cluster has to be
>replaced as the computer would not accept the reprogramming!! This means a
>new instrument cluster (extended warrantee) HOWEVER THE MILAGE WILL READ
>0000000on new cluster and will not show my real mileage EXCEPT for a
>rinkidink sticker they put on the door pillar showing the correct
>mileage.Don't think I would want to buy a car where the mileage isn't
>correctly regestered--what about you?

When I had a new speedometer/odometer installed on my '76 Volvo, I simply
got a notarized statement stating the previous mileage from the repair
shop. Of course, there were still some missing miles during the period that
I drove with the broken original unit, but it was close enough for
government work.

Regards,

MB

>Isn't there some way the NEW cluster can be programed to show the milage I
>now have on the car --BMW dealer says no??
>John B.
>'97 Z3  1.9ltr

Mark Blass - Allentown, PA
2003 330i