<E28> 535is Transmission

Dale

I may have had this problem and it drove me crazy for quite a
while.  I never got the answer off this list or any other the others.

The transmission linkage may be hitting the "harmonic balancer"
surrounding the guibo on the drive shaft. (If you have the balancer).

One way to remedy this other than replacing the whole balancer
is to just cut off the metal ring (the balancer part) and clean up
the other stuff that will be there. Take the car for a drive to see if
you butt feels the shimmy of an out-of-balance drive shaft. My
bet is that it won't need the balancer. (I still have the new one I
was going to put on a couple of years ago).

Don McMahon
Okemos, MI