<E28> 535is Transmission

I have a 1987 535is with 160k miles.  I noticed over a year ago that when I
engaged 5th gear that if there was any pressure applied to the gearshift knob
to the right I would hear a sound like gears grinding.  Recently, this noise
has gotten much worse.  I hear the noise anytime the gearshift is in 5th gear.
I can move and hold the knob to the left and and the sound goes away.

Any ideas?  Is the transmission going or is it something more simple like
replacing the fluids or the gearshift bushings?

Thanks for your help.

Jason Gange
dandsgange@domain.elided