E39 exhaust systems, etc

Dave-

I've gone through this exact same situation with my '97 540i -6.

All of the aftermarket systems are $600 or more.  And that's for a simple
muffler, tip(s) and 2 or 3 feet of pipe.  It's really ridiculous.  Unless
you buy the b.s. about these companies spending endless hours dyno tuning
their systems for optimal performance and such, but I just think it's a
waste of money.

Save yourself a lot of time and take the car to your local muffler shop.
Have them cut the system off just before the rear muffler (where you would
have to cut it off anyway to install an aftermarket system) and install a
straight pipe on the car.  $40 - $50 and you're done.  You will love the
sound as well.  It's really not loud at all - and surprisingly it does not
resonate at any RPM level...as I thought it might.  As a reference the
system is actually a bit quieter than our E36 was with a B&B exhaust.

Here's what I did - I ended up ordering a number of mufflers and tips and
headed down to a local muffler shop I had used before to have them
experiment with systems.  I figured we could test fit a number of options
and find one I liked.  We cut the rear muffler off the car and I had them
start it up with the rear section totally off the car.  I just wanted to see
what it would sound like - I thought it would be way too loud.  Turns out
the sound level was just right, so we simply welded on a rear pipe section
that ends in a turn down just like the stock system.  The rear pipe bends up
a bit into the area where the stock muffler resided and then turns down at
the same location as the stock muffler does.  I guess if you wanted you
could add a nice tip as well.

If anyone is interested I also have a template for a E39 heat shield I use
with my K&N intake system.  Again, I couldn't justify the costs of the
aftermarket systems.  I use a section of 3" silicone hose, a small section
of 3" stainless and a few clamps to position the K&N just behind the
passenger headlight.  The heat shield blocks the heated air from the engine
compartment.  I also have two 2" ducts that route cold air from the front of
the car.  I've cut two holes in the "blank" that is between the fog light
and the radiator opening, attaching the ducts there with a small piece of
stainless mesh also positioned on the back side of the blank panel.  I've
tested this system with some OBDII software that I have enabling me to view
intake air temperature.  At rest the intake air temps will generally read 85
deg to over 100 deg.  With the car moving at only 15 to 20 mph intake air
temps drop to only a few degrees above outside ambient temps.

Scott Hemauer
BMWCCA
'97 540i - 6
'95 Mitsu Eclipse GSX