re:securing hockey pucks/ was: broken jack point

jkerouac <jkerouac@domain.elided> wrote:

>     Btw, instead of using the jacking pads, try raising the car by
> using a jacking arm that inserts into the factory jacking hole on the
> side of the rocker panel.  Much simpler, easier, more clearance for the
> jack and no chance of damaging or dinging the car floor or the underside

> of the body side skirt.

FWIW,
I've read reports from people who had cracked the welding between the
factory jacking liner and the unibody. Based on that and the added time
and complexity in using a Steve D-type jacking plate, I jack up my car
with a low profile jack (AC jack to be specific:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html). Why low profile jack? Because
it is just about the only thing low enough to get under my lowered E36.
If you do choose to use either Steve D's or Pelican Parts' jacking plates,
make sure that your jack's saddle is big enough to envelop the jacking
plate's head. The car does move in the relation to the jack as it goes up.
Unless the two are interlocked, the plate may slip from the small cheapo
jack's saddle with obvious consequences (BTDT).

alex f